Friday, October 3, 2008

yeah, you know me...

I lucked up on a ticket to last night's VH1's Hip-Hop Honors Awards. And although I'm not normally a fan of attending shows that are going to be taped for TV (too much down time changing sets, reading lines for commercials, and overall time inefficiency); I have to say it was really good.

Granted, I'm a huge fan of all the acts that were honored- Cyprus Hill, De La Soul, Slick Rick, Too $hort, and Naughty by Nature-so from the beginning I was excited. But what really put the night over the edge were how amazing the majority of the performances by the non-nominated artists. When Busta Rhymes came out dressed in the bright aqua knickers with a matching eye patch to perform a Slick Rick tune, I DIED. Scarface, Estelle, Q-Tip, Big Boi, Mos Def, Cee Lo, freakin' EPMD(!?!?)...
Oh when I tell you that Naughty by Nature ripped it DOWN with OPP?? I didn't even remember that I liked that song. But there I was singing along to every single word like it was 1991... loudly. Can I tell you, it feels so good to be old school!

3 comments:

  1. I am sooo jealous...sounds like you had too much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's hot!... why did cee-lo have them silk pajamas on??!!! he was thinking of the wrong awards show...lol...and i thought of you when i watched it last night and slick rick came on...they did mc ricky d dirty with his stage time though...and slick didn't want to get off stage either...lol...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember back in your "Honey" days, you walking around with a free Slick Rick sign, too funny.

    ReplyDelete