Monday, October 20, 2008

i don't know you like that...

So funny, back in the day I was right there with the 20% of the folks bringing home every new person that they were dating within the first 3 months. Seemed like every Juan, Rick and Lamar rolled into Elsa's crib to say hello and give her a chance to lay eyes on them. But I had to cut that little habit out quick fast and in a hurry when my dearly beloved mother started unapologetically mixing up names, talking 'bout, "But Mitzi, you bring so many. How am I supposed to know?" Jesus.

So nowadays, like 45% of you, I'm all about the 6 months waiting period. That gives the boy just enough time to ditch the perfect 'representative' that shows up to wine and dine you for the first 3-5 months of the relationship (you know the period when he's absolutely perfect until he gets comfortable) and Elsa just enough time to forget the ex's name.

How-some-ever, as I get older, I swing more and more towards the more secretive side of the pendulum. And like the 25%, I'm starting to believe that there's no need for anyone new to meet my people until after a year. Cause really, it's hard out here. And hearing my mom tell me that there's "something she doesn't trust" about every single guy I bring around can be a little frustrating. It's like, damn Elsa can't you like anybody??

But there is a limitation to the stupidity. And I don't know about the 10% of you who are waiting until there's a ring. What if the person turns out to be a long lost relative or something? So now you're kissing cousins? That's so coal miner's daughter... Or worse, the creep who'll steal all our money and jilt you at the alter? Had your mom seen him/ her earlier, they probably could've foreseen all that. 'Cause you know parents are ALWAYS right.

1 comment:

  1. That's real, Mitzi! (I can picture Elsa casing out those dudes too) As I get older, I only want to bring home a man that is real relationship material, with real relationship potential. It's not a good look anymore to bring home random fools (or to deal with them for that matter), because I can't have Ma Dukes worrying about the decisions her daughter is making.

    ReplyDelete