Tuesday, February 10, 2009

mutiny...

Yo, what is it with the parental co-sign on the person you're dating? I don't care what anyone says, there's nothing more gratifying than when your mom actually LIKES the person you're sleeping with.

How-some-ever if your mom is anything like mine, that co-sign ain't never come easy. Uh-uh, no maam. For the record, I can count on one hand the number of boyfriends that she's actually liked. Because as she likes to explain, there's a huge difference between tolerating and liking folks. Elsa sure can tolerate a lot of the tom foolery that I bring to her doorstep but that don't mean she likes it- AT ALL.
Needless to say, like 50% of you guys I've learned to date without her approval. Otherwise, I'd probably be miserably married to a certain overweight, pigeon-toed, lame-o, nice guy that I met way back in high school who I could never stand the sight of but LOVED himself Mitzi (insert gagging sound). And where as all I could see were the rolls of fat and beads of sweat, my mom just saw all this unrealized future potential. Good luck.

As for the 50% of you who are willing to jump ship every time you don't get the co-sign, I wish you well. Although admittedly, a mother's foresight is generally 20/20 (cause lord knows our parents probably got into some shit dating back in the 70s). I think sometimes you need to take your lumps and bumps like a man. Otherwise, how will you truly be appreciative when the real thing comes along?

Of course, if I'm still single five years from now, I'll probably have to suck it up and head back to E-Dub with my tail between my legs but till then... I'm going hard.

1 comment: