Thursday, November 13, 2008

rip old dirty bastard...

In an ideal world, no one would have to choose between love and a dream career. But as we've all learned from watching TMZ- ain't no such thing as a perfect world. No matter who you are...

With that said, I'm happy to report that romance is far from dead. A whopping 76% would choose finding the love of their lives over a dream career. Wow, I am very impressed. I guess my friend Melissa probably summed it up best when she said that she couldn't imagine a job fulfilling her as much as being with her soulmate. And you know, like my very happily married homegirl who left her own fabulous life in the big city to move to a distant CT suburb so patiently explained to me when I balked at her drastic lifestyle change, "I thought I had everything until I met him. And then nothing mattered as much." Feel free to insert the ooh, ahh and sigh. Don't you just heart love?

But I gotta tell ya when it's all said and done, I'm betting on Mitzi. Like the remaining 23%, I choose the career of my dreams all day every day. And it has nothing to do with believing that being wealthy will make me happy. Simply put, I'm not willing to depend on any so-called soulmate to "complete me." Uh-uh, my nerves are too bad for that. Besides, by now shouldn't we all understand the basic science of maintaining a happy home??? "When mama's happy, everybody's happy but when mama's ain't happy..."
I wholeheartedly believe that if I'm pursuing my true passion, I can love and be more than satisfied with whomever I'm with (as long as we're err-um physically compatible). Call me a control freak but the idea of waiting for the perfect person to experience the height of happiness is crazy. I'm all about making that happen now. Whenever Mr. Right shows up, he can join the party in progress (a.k.a get in where you fit in).
Disclaimer: This time around, I'm probably a bit bias because I really do LOVE my career (note: not a job)- annoying editors, stressful deadlines, check chasing and all. If I never ever, ever, ever get to be a nuevo black housewife with my nanny, maid and therapist dream team, I'll be sad but certainly still wake up every day happy to do me.

4 comments:

  1. I have been going back and forth about this and I am going to say I want a great career and all but if I don't have someone to share it with, it's not going to be fun. I will need to have the Love of my life to share it with. I don't want to save the word and come home to 3 cats and a dogs to curl up to. That is not sexy at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mitzi, I'm so with you on this! I have always been career driven, and have never needed a man to make me happy. Also, it's so funny that you say that because that is my mantra in this house: If mommy and wifey aint happy, no one will be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daddy need to be happy too! Job career get that money dammit and when its right we all can be a lil more comfy. If I'm stable we all can live good, its only one chief, and one captain but they both need a crew, a team to make it all work.

    ReplyDelete