Friday, March 4, 2011

you tell me...

So I was listening to the radio this morning and the co-hosts were having a heated debate about whether marriage was relevant nowadays. And I have to tell you, I was genuinely blown by the fact that none of the three (2 guys and a girl) saw any point to the institution in today's society.

Really?

Because despite the fact that I am nowhere near ready to be locked in a legal union myself, I do wholeheartedly believe that healthy marriages are more relevant they've ever been. Mind you, I said HEALTHY marriages.

BLANK STARE

The way I see it a healthy marriage forces people to share, communicate, respect and cooperate with another person even when he or she is not getting exactly what they want.

Which is EXACTLY what's lacking in the world today.

I mean, what do guys think? Sure, it's not for everybody but in the grand scheme of life does that mean marriage isn't relevant? Or am I just a throwback romantic who needs to stop listening to crappy NYC morning radio and go get her taxes done?

2 comments:

  1. My 'let everyone do as they like response': Marriage is relevant to those who want to be in one, and is irrelevant to those who do not. It is a lifestyle that has its challenges, but I think that a healthy union is the ultimate mutual support.

    How I really feel:
    Marriages beget FAMILIES. Family is important, right? Marriage is as important as roots are to trees - its the foundation. If you buy the crap that you can make it on your own forever with just friends and a set of bump buddies, live a little longer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with "D"
    Marriage begets families and (somewhat) healthy individuals. It promotes compromise, communication and co-existing. The foundation of what we need in society.
    Shouldn't you be doing your taxes Mitzi?

    Mini me

    ReplyDelete